Note: This article applies to Pro XD 2000D and Pro XD 4000D vehicles, which are now named Pro XD Diesel and Pro XD Diesel Crew, respectively.
No single action on your part is as important as a proper break-in period. Careful treatment of a new engine will result in more efficient performance and longer life for the engine. Perform the following procedures carefully.
The break-in period for your new vehicle differs by model. The break-in period is the first 50 hours of use for Pro XD Diesel and Pro XD Diesel Crew vehicles.
Note: Excessive heat buildup during the first 3 hours of operation will damage close-fitted engine parts and drive components. Do not operate at full throttle or high speeds during the first 3 hours of use.
Engine and Drivetrain Break-In
1. Fill the fuel tank with clean, fresh fuel.
2. Check the oil level. Add the recommended oil as needed to maintain the oil level in the safe operating range.
3. Complete the New Operator Driving Procedures. See your Owner’s Manual for more information.
4. Avoid aggressive use of the brakes.
5. Vary throttle positions. Do not operate at sustained idle.
6. Pull only light loads.
7. Perform regular checks on fluid levels, controls and areas outlined on the daily pre-ride inspection checklist. For more information, see the Pro XD Diesel and Pro XD Diesel Crew maintenance charts.
8. During the break-in period, change both the oil and the filter at 25 hours or one month.
9. Check fluid levels of the transmission and all gearcases after the first 25 hours of operation and every 200 hours thereafter.
Brake System Break-In
Apply only moderate braking force for the first 50 stops. Aggressive or overly forceful braking when the brake system is new could damage brake pads and rotors.
PVT Break-In (Clutches and Belt)
A proper break-in of the clutches and drive belt will ensure a longer life and better performance. Break in the clutches and belt by operating at slower speeds during the break-in period as recommended. Pull only light loads. Avoid aggressive acceleration and high-speed operation during the break-in period. If a belt fails, always clean any debris from the PVT intake and outlet duct and from the clutch and engine compartments when replacing the belt.
For vehicle operation instructions, read Pro XD Operation Basics.
© 2021 Polaris Inc.