Careful periodic maintenance will help keep your vehicle in the safest, most reliable condition. Inspect, clean, lubricate, adjust and replace parts as necessary. When inspection reveals the need for replacement parts, genuine GEM parts are available from your authorized GEM Dealer.
Tip: Record maintenance and service in the Maintenance Log at the back of the Owner’s Manual.
Service and adjustments are important for proper vehicle operation. If you're not familiar with safe service and adjustment procedures, your authorized GEM Dealer can perform these operations.
GEM e2, e4, e6, eL XD
Your GEM vehicle should be serviced monthly. Inspect the following:
- Check cables and terminal connections.
- Check for worn insulation or frayed wires.
- Check battery hold-down bar to ensure batteries are tightly secured.
- Check tires for correct air pressure and wear.
- Check wheels for proper torque after the first 100 miles driven, and after first 100 miles after any wheel is removed.
- Rotate wheels every 5,000 miles, or more frequently if needed.
- Check brake fluid reservoir for proper brake fluid level.
- Check brake lines for leaks.
- Check seat belts for proper operation.
- Check headlights, horn, turn signals, windshield wiper and brake lights for proper operation.
- Check steering wheel freeplay.
GEM eM 1400 LSV
Perform inspections at the interval specified in the chart below.
Maintenance Chart Key
XU = Perform these operations more often for vehicles subjected to severe use.
D = Have an authorized GEM dealer perform these services.
(Whichever comes first)
|Steering||-||Pre-Ride||-||Inspect and make adjustments as needed. See Pre-Ride Inspection.|
|Brake Fluid Level||-||-|
|Brake Pedal Travel||-||-|
|Parking Brake System||-||-|
|Headlamp/Tail Lamp||-||Daily||-||Check operation. Apply dielectric grease if replacing|
|Battery Terminals||25 H||Monthly||-||Inspect and clean|
|Battery Fluid Levels||25 H||Monthly||-||Add as needed|
|Battery Terminals||25 H||Monthly||-||Inspect. Torque to specification|
|Transaxle Shaft Nuts||25 H||Monthly||-||Torque bolts to specification|
|Parking Brake||25 H||Monthly||-||Inspect and adjust as needed|
|Tire Rotation||50 H||3 Months||-||Rotate tires as needed|
|Brake Pad Wear||50 H||3 Months||-||Inspect periodically|
|XU||General Lubrication||50 H||3 Months||-||Lubricate all fittings, pivots, cables, etc.|
|D||Steering||50 H||6 Months||-||Lubricate|
|XU||Front Suspension||50 H||6 Months||-||Lubricate|
|XU||Rear Suspension||50 H||6 Months||-||Lubricate|
|XU||Wiring||100 H||12 Months||-||Inspect for wear, routing, security. Apply dielectric grease to connectors subjected to water, mud, etc.|
|D||Front Wheel Bearings||100 H||12 Months||-||Inspect. Replace as needed|
|D||Brake Fluid||200 H||24 Months||-||Change every two years|
|D||Toe Adjustment||-||Inspect periodically. Adjust when parts are replaced|
|D||Headlight Aim||-||Adjust as needed|
For more information and inspection procedures, refer to your Owner’s Manual.